Sunday, April 6, 2008

April is the cruellest month (Eliot was right)

For those in the U.S., April can be cruel. Why? Taxes.

I thought I'd get a little break for the new heat pump installed in August. After all, I went for a more efficient unit than the suggested XR13, XL14i or XL15i; I got the XL16i. Two-stage, "up to" 17.5 SEER, only the XL19i is better with 2 compressors, and SEER rating "up to" 19.5 [values from Trane brochure 72-1208-01 Sep-2005].

The IRS form 5695 ( available online ) says tax credits are allowed for:
... any of the following.

A central air conditioner that achieves the highest efficiency tier that has been established by the Consortium of Energy Efficiency and is in effect on January 1, 2006.

An electric heat pump that has a heating seasonal performance factor (HSPF) of at least 9, a seasonal energy efficiency rating (SEER) of at least 15, and an energy efficiency rating (EER) of at least 13.


So I was good with the SEER rating. As far as I could tell I was good with the HSPF rating (I found 9.2 on a pro chat site - "The 16i 4TWX6036 gets 17 SEER, 9.20 HSPF but wimpy on heating at 33,200 BTU") but the EER wasn't coming up.

I looked on the Trane site - no certification found.

See if your system or unit qualifies for an Energy Tax Credit
http://www.trane.com/Residential/TraneOwners/EE_Eligible.aspx

What is the model number of your heat pump or air conditioner? 4TWX6036
What is the model of your furnace or air handler? 34TEE3F37
Energy Efficient Tax Credit Amount: $0.00

No dice, do not pass go, do not collect $300 tax credit.

For those trying to decide on a new unit, or looking for tax credits, see:

Consortium for Energy Efficiency

CEE is a nonprofit organization that works with its members in the U.S. and Canada to promote energy efficient products, technologies, and services.

Download a recording of the evaluation webinar, Metering the Unmetered Resource

The certification directory is online.

I have decreased energy usage significantly so far this winter:









(recent months are on the left)

I have been keeping our energy usage online as a way to be transparent about my consumption. It's too high, but we're working on it.

Details:
http://www.editgrid.com/user/jspath55/SPATH-HOME-ENERGY-USE

No comments: